Happy 4th of July!
I can't believe it is already July! The summer is flying by. We'll be hosting a BBQ at our house this year and I looking forward to celebrating.
I have three recipes for you this month, all of which would be perfect additions to your 4th of July line-up. Enjoy!
Apricot Glazed Chicken Wings
I've shared this recipe before but these wings are too good to only share once!
For the wings:
- 24 chicken wings
- 6 T adobo sauce
- Salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 c Blue Owl Preserves Low Sugar Jam (I recommend apricot, peach is also fantastic)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T soy sauce
- 3 T Dijon mustard
- 2 t salt
- 2 t pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 2 T adobo sauce (or substitute chili powder)
- 1 T butter
- Season chicken wings with a healthy amount of salt and pepper, then rub with adobo sauce.
- Arrange in smoker grill with apricot wood and cook at 225°F for 2.5 hours, or until internal temperature is 165°F. Alternatively, if you don’t have a smoker, preheat oven to 375°F and cook for an hour.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken wings with sauce on the side for dipping, or toss wings with sauce before serving.
Yogurt Filled Dessert Cups
Growing up my mom would always do a pound cake layered with whipped cream and fresh fruit. This is my fresh new twist!
- 6 Dessert Cups (I took the easy way out this time and bought these from the store, but you could also make your own!)
- 3-4 oz plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2-3 T Blue Owl Preserves Blueberry Rhubarb Jam
- 2-3 T Blue Owl Preserves Strawberry Jam
- Spoon yogurt into each of the dessert cups. Try finding a yogurt that has less added sugar. My recent favorite is Siggi's.
- Place blueberry rhubarb and strawberry jams in squeeze bottles, or into ziplock bags with a corner cut. Squeeze on top of yogurt in desired pattern.
- Serve with fresh blueberries and strawberries.
Red, White and Blue Yogurt Popsicles
Like the firecracker popsicles you ate growing up, only better!
- 16 oz plain or vanilla yogurt
- 3 T Blue Owl Preserves Blueberry Rhubarb Jam
- 3 T Blue Owl Preserves Strawberry Jam
- Milk, optional
- Divide the yogurt into three bowls. Add strawberry jam to one of the bowls, blueberry rhubarb to another, and leave the third plain. Mix well to combine. If needed, add a small amount of milk to thin the yogurt until it is pourable.
- Pour the yogurt mixtures into small mason jars, layering the colors. I started with strawberry, then plain and finally blueberry rhubarb.
- Insert a popsicle stick. I didn't have any so I used small tasting spoons! Get creative if you need to.
- Place in freezer for at least 6 hours. Rinse briefly under hot water to loosen popsicles.
- Popsicles can be removed from the mason jars and stored in a sealed container in the freezer for several weeks.