I’m writing this blog post from my Airbnb in Chattanooga, TN. I’m here this weekend to compete in Ironman Chattanooga, my third full Ironman race. Well, it was supposed to be a full Ironman but the swim portion has been cancelled due to dangerous water conditions resulting from the last week of heavy rain. Being an endurance athlete, diet is an important component of my training. It’s critical to fuel my body with the calories and nutrients it needs. This means cutting out a lot of junk foods and seeking more whole foods. But sometimes it can be tricky identifying the “healthy” options.
This article, published by NPR, calls out yogurt for being promoted as a healthy snack while being pumped full of sugar. The U.K. government has listed yogurt as one of the top nine food categories that contribute to children’s sugar intake. And just one serving of yogurt could contain 25% or more of the recommended daily sugar limit for adults. Interestingly, researchers found that organic yogurts were some of the sweetest! So what can you do?
Read labels! Whether you’re an endurance athlete or not, it’s important to pay attention to how much sugar you are eating. I began looking at the sugar content of products when I began training for my first Ironman in 2016. I was shocked to find how much sugar is in products like ketchup, tomato sauce and iced tea. These days, I choose plain, unsweetened yogurt (Greek yogurt is a good choice too!) and mix in a spoonful of jam. My low sugar jam contains only 3 grams per serving, so you’ll get the fruit flavor without all the sugar found in flavored yogurts. I also love to add some crunch, like almonds or hemp seeds. What are your favorite yogurt add-ins?
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 1 T butter
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1-1/2 t garlic powder
- 1-1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/3 c Raspberry Chipotle Jam
- 1 T lime juice
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 6 corn tortillas
- Cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Toppings: avocado, sour cream, cilantro
- In a large pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove onions from pan.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Add the breasts to the pan and turn up the heat to medium-high. Sear each side of the chicken and then lower heat to medium and cook about 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer chicken to cutting board to cool.
- Add the Raspberry Chipotle Jam, lime juice and rice wine vinegar to the same pan. Stir continuously for about 2-3 minutes until it turns syrupy.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Add chicken strips and onions back into the pan with the Raspberry Chipotle Jam sauce. Stir to coat.
- Heat corn tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Top with Raspberry Chipotle chicken and add your favorite toppings.
Did you try this recipe? Send us a pic on Instagram @blueowlpreserves!