This month I have a not-so-low-in-sugar recipe for you, but you can feel better knowing you aren’t adding even more sugar by filling these cookies with a traditional jam. My husband’s motto is “Everything in moderation, including moderation”. While it’s rare that I splurge on cookies, it is nice to indulge from time to time. And I love being able to gift these beautiful cookies to the people I care about, whether in celebration of Valentine’s Day or just because!
Recipe: Valentine’s Day Linzer Cookies
- 2 sticks (16 T) unsalted butter, room temperature (see note below)
- ⅔ c plus 3 T powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2-½ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ t salt
- 8 oz jar Blue Owl Preserves Low Sugar Jam (I recommend Mixed Berry or Strawberry)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter and ⅔ c powdered sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla, then add flour and salt.
3. Using your hands, shape dough into 2 disks. Roll out first disk until about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out cookies with a large heart-shaped cookie cutter. Use a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the center of half of the cookies. Use a spatula to transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with second disk of dough.
4. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes, until edges are golden. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
5. Spread 1-½ T of Blue Owl Preserves Low Sugar Jam on each intact heart cookie. Sift remaining powdered sugar over heart cut-out cookies, then place on top of jam.
6. Share with the people you love!
Pro-Tip! Be sure your butter is at room temperature. I was impatient and ended up with a big poof of powdered sugar and little bits of butter flying all over! I don’t recommend that technique….
Did you try this recipe? Send us a pic on Instagram @blueowlpreserves!
Have you stopped by our newest retail location yet? I’ll be at Ranch Foods Direct on Saturday February 9th, from 11AM-1PM, handing out samples of strawberry, mixed berry, apricot and peach habanero jam. I’d love for you to stop by!
Can’t make it on the 9th? Visit me at Garden of the Gods Market & Café on March 2nd from 10AM-1PM. I highly recommend checking out their brunch menu after perusing all the goodies in the Market.
Do you have a favorite store where you would love to see Blue Owl Preserves? Please let me know! You can email me directly at email@example.com.